Effective October 25, 2012, sponsored spouses or partners must now live together in a legitimate relationship with their sponsor for two years from the day they receive permanent resident status in Canada. If your spouse or partner being sponsored to come to Canada this applies to you if;

  • You are being sponsored by a permanent resident or Canadian citizen
  • You have been in a relationship for two years or less with your sponsor 
  • You have no children in common
  • Your application was received on or after October 25, 2012.


If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor certain relatives to become a permanent resident under the Family Class (FC).

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, you must make every reasonable effort to provide for your own essential needs and those of your relative. You are responsible for supporting your relative financially when he or she arrives. As a sponsor, you must make sure your spouse or relative does not need to seek social assistance from the government.